This week my friend Lindsey and I finally got together after weeks of trying and failing. (Lindsey is getting married in March and I have been sick, as I mentioned in the last blog.) So, we decided to go to First Thursday downtown. All the art galleries and the museum are free, so we met at the art museum. I had no idea what the exhibitions were so when I went I was SO excited to find out it was Las Artes de Mexico. They had a lot of pieces from Pre-Columbian Mexico, and since that is one of my passions in art, I was thrilled.

This was one of the vessels the art museum had displayed. It was really fun to see some of the sculptures and vessels I had studied in class, but also really surreal. It is on my list of things to do before I die to go to Central and South America to visit all the ruins I studied. I actually looked to see if I could get a Master's in pre-columbian art, and the answer is : not that I could find.

Another exhibition that was on display was John Taylor's Submerge. This one I thought Brook would especially like. (Brook: on a side note, remember when we went to the moving art show? One of the most influential moments for me, in art anyway, followed by the Pompey exhibit when I went to Chicago). Anyway, this artist builds ships, and penguins (this part I especially thought Brook would like because they tower over little people and ships) out of weathered wood, nails, and found objects. It was really cool, and this picture did not do it justice.
_001.jpg)
This one was a sculpture by Faith Ringgold, and I don't know any background behind it. It was probably about 4 ft tall though and I thought it was an interesting piece. Anyway, it was really a good time, and I was excited to go. I have had a case of the winter blues, and it was good to remember that I am passionate about things other then working at Shopko.
3 comments:
The moving art show was so much fun. I wish I could have gone with you guys. It looks so interesting.
I never knew you had a passion for Pre-Columbian art! Wow! You learn something new every day. It looks very interesting. I love art of all forms. Way to be cultured on your time off. I bet there is a Pre-Columbian Art Major somewhere.
You are always doing something interesting and creative, and how fun to have a friend to pal around with. All I can ever think about doing is dinner and a movie.
Post a Comment