
First I made the dough.

It was a little harder to work with then I am use too, but we still had fun constructing our fruit. Ryan is busy working on some grapes.
We waited until tonight and for family home evening we painted them. Ryan is painting his grapes.

Our finished food: cabbage, pumpkin, grapes, carrot, bread, corn, tomato, plum and a pepper that didn't make the final cut.
And finally placed inside my cornucopia:



It was a little harder to work with then I am use too, but we still had fun constructing our fruit. Ryan is busy working on some grapes.
We waited until tonight and for family home evening we painted them. Ryan is painting his grapes.
Our finished food: cabbage, pumpkin, grapes, carrot, bread, corn, tomato, plum and a pepper that didn't make the final cut.
And finally placed inside my cornucopia:






5 comments:
i need to do this! we were just talking about doing something similar in FHE tonight. so what dough do you make and what kind of paint? does it last and not go bad? maybe i'll head to tai pan tomorrow.
I just used my mom's old baker's dough recipe. It is 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of salt and 3/4 cup of water. You mix it until it is plyable. Then you can make your shapes. You have to bake it for 2 hours though, at 325. I just used acrylic paint. Once you bake it, it hardens and won't go bad. But, some of mine cracked that I could tell were getting really dry and didn't add water to. I asked my mom about it and she said she kept all of hers for years and years and none of them ever went bad, and the paint never dulled. I am going to spray mine with a clear acrylic finish spray, (you can buy it at Micheals or Roberts but I think it is about $7.00) I know you can buy clay you can bake in the oven if you would rather something like that, but I liked the dough and it was cheap and easy!
What a fun tradition! But, what about a pinata?? ;)
Cute pictures of you guys! Your hair is getting long.
Thanks Caitlin! I think the dough you made would be easier to work with. I've used the clay from the craft store before and it's hard to get it soft and pliable enough to work with. I am able to work with the sculpty and craft clay, but I think the kids would work better with something more play doh like so I think we will be copying your family tradition.=)
Cool tradition! I think we may have to try it! :D
Post a Comment