November is Adoption Awareness Month. LDS Family Services and the FSA (Families Supporting Adoption) have activities planned for the whole month. Today was a 5k walk celebrating adoption at Liberty Park in SLC. They asked everyone to wear orange, which we did, but it was kind of cold so we both had jackets on. They had a big turn out with people from all over the area, which was kind of fun. We only recognized one couple from our agency.
As soon as we got there, Ryan was asked to help out. He carried the hot water for the hot chocolate, (which was not very good) to the tables for a lady. Everyone wore signs that said, "I walk in celebration of " and you added the rest. We walked in celebration of our family that has not started yet. Someone walked for Harry Potter- adopted by the wizarding world, which I thought was clever.
This was right before we started the walk. They had a raffle and things afterwards, but we didn't stay because Ryan went flying this afternoon.
Thursday we have a chat night with a panel of birthmoms. They come and tell their story and then answer questions you have. Ryan has to work, but I am still going to go. I find their stories inspiring. The following week, a photographer is giving away free photo shoots for families waiting to adopt. Ryan and I were able to sign up for it. I am really excited about that. I know they have some more activities planned through out the month, but I think that is all we will be able to attend. I have found it is really comforting to be around people who really get what you are going through.
It is amazing to me how much our hearts have been opened and how much we have been prepared for this experience. I am glad it took us so long to finish our papers, (3 years if you were wondering) because now I can look back and have a completely different understanding then I did three years ago. I just wish I had more patience. :)




4 comments:
I love that you added that the hot chocolate wasn't very good. That made me laugh. I can't wait when I can read that you guys are going to be parents.
It took 3 years to finish paperwork? Wow. So it's all in now? Do you have any idea when you might be able to adopt? I really appreciate your outlook on this and I hope it works out really well and with the right timing for you guys. This is very sweet and exciting.
Also, I remember you posted some Thanksgiving traditions last year. Do you have any more? What about Christmas ones? I want to integrate more traditions and I remember you had good ideas.
Samantha- I knew I wasn't going to be able to get pregnant before we were married, so we started our paperwork after one year. LDS Family Services requires you be married for 2 years, so we started so that at the 2 year mark, we could put our paperwork in. Then, Ryan got laid off work and we were really, really poor so we had to put it on hold. Ryan found a new job, things looked really good, and we found out we had to move to Utah so Ryan could finish his schooling, so we put a hold on it because it was 500.00 to transfer if the paperwork was processed. Then we moved up here, and basically had to start all over. This agency requires a lot of different things that ID didn't. Ryan couldn't find work for several months and then finally found a job. Things were looking good, and then he was laid off again, the same month a dirty landlord wouldn't let us out of our lease, eventhough we had already given noticed and moved. So we had 2 rents until we could find someone suitable to take the rent at our old place, which should be condemned. So, all the money we had saved to pay for the homestudy had to go to the rent. It was really heartbreaking for me. But now, a year later, we finally have all the paperwork in and are waiting. The average wait for LDS Family Services is 3 years, but I decided we are getting a baby way before that. :) We decided to do an open adoption, which I have debated blogging about. We have had over a hundred views on our profile, but no contact yet. I am ok with that, (well impatiently ok) because I don't want any baby, I want the one right for us.
I know, a really long response. Sorry! I wish I had more fun traditions. I am always trying to find some. We make the food for the cornicopia's every year. My friend makes Thankful turkeys, that I want to start. Her kids make a turkey with their hand and everyday until thanksgiving they add a feather with something they are thankful for. At Christmas I always watch Meet Me in St. Louis, but usually by myself, but it is still a tradition!
Post a Comment