Wednesday, November 10th: I felt fine all day. Ryan and I were getting ready to bed, and I started getting a pain in my side. I would get this aching pain quite a bit from the cyst that I have, but normally it just is uncomfortable for about an hour and then it stops. This pain was different, it hurt so bad that I started throwing up, and no matter how I moved, stood, sat or laid down it still hurt. It was only on my right side, and I was sure it was my appendix. So at 12:30 am, we drove to the ER in American Fork, which is not where my new doctor is. They heard my symptoms in the ER and admitted me immediately to labor and delivery. Then there was a big discussion on what to do since I no longer had a doctor there. All I know was I was in pain and I wanted it to stop. They gave me some percocet, and then my old doctor came in. He had me get an ultrasound and then said the cyst hadn't grown at all, (he saw me 2 weeks earlier and it was 5cm by 6cm and he said it was 7cm by 6cm) He also said that I would probably need surgery, because it was bothering me but it wasn't something I really needed to worry about right now. Just to follow up with my new doctor. Then he asked what my discomfort level was. I said I could feel where the pain was, but that I felt better. It did not occur to me that I felt better because they gave me percocet! So he sent me home. Without any pain meds.
We got home at about 4:30 am. I was worried it was too late to put a sub in, so I told Ryan I was going to stay up, write my lesson plans, call the school secretary and then go to bed. As I was doing all this, the pain started to get worse and worse. By 5:30 I was sick again, and crying because I was in so much pain. Ryan gave me a blessing, went out and bought tylenol for me, and then said I should try to sleep. Ryan slept. I tossed and turned, and paced around trying to figure out what to do. At 9:30 I called my friend at work and asked her if she would come take me to the doctor's. I thought Ryan and Maya needed the sleep. She said she would, and came over to get me. While she was coming over, Ryan called my doctor's office to let them know I was in the ER. My friend got here, took one look at me and said she would take Maya for the day and Ryan should take me to the doctors. So that is what we did. On our way to the doctor's office, they called and asked if I could come in immediately, so they were ready when I got there. The new office is by my work and about 20 minutes away. We got there, they took me straight into a room and then started going over everything. They had no pain meds that they could give me so I spent most of the time begging for the pain to stop then really listening to what was going on. The paper that the ER had given me said that the cyst was 8cm by 7 cm. (Bigger than what the doctor told me) and that it was a solid mass. My doctor said that the only way I would be in so much pain from a cyst is if it was either bleeding out, or forcing my ovary to twist. Either way I would need surgery and that it was a risk for the baby. She said it was a good time to do surgery though, because earlier in the pregnancy would have caused miscarriage and later in the pregnancy would cause early labor. I did not realize she meant surgery right then. She left, came back a few minutes later and at 2:30pm I was wheeled into the surgery center.
The doctor had told us she was going to try to do a laproscopic surgery, but the cyst was bigger than expected so they had to cut about a 6 inch incision. (Making 3 incisions total). It was twisting my ovary and cutting off the currculation of blood to it. It was also pushing into my uterus because it was so big. It was a solid mass because it was a dermoid tumor. These tumors do not ever stop growing and so it was a really good thing they got it when they did. They were able to save my ovary, but the surgery took 2 hours longer than was expected, which was 30 minutes.
One miracle is that our baby boy survived. Before the surgery, he has stayed breach right in the middle of my stomach, where the surgery was. Right before the surgery, he moved over to the left side and stayed over there the entire time I was in the hospital. I decided this little boy really wants to come to our family because he has had plenty of chances to not come. After they gave me the pain meds, (before the surgery) the doctor asked what I was most scared of, I said losing my little boy. She told me she would do everything in her power to make that not happen and that they would take care of me. That is the last thing I remember before the surgery.
I was in the hospital until Sunday night. They had trouble finding pain meds that would actually get rid of the pain, instead of just making me feel loopy. So Friday was miserable. I got out of bed on Saturday and was able to shower one of those days, but I don't remember when. Brook and Jordan came to visit, but I can't remember them other than Brook sitting on the couch and I asked Jordan to leave for a minute while I stood up for something, but I can't remember what. My good friend Gina took Maya almost the whole weekend so Ryan could be with me at the hospital. Sunday night I was released and came home. I was really sick Monday and started taking only Tylenol on Tuesday because of the reaction I was having to the pain meds. The doctor on wed. said I should be doing a lot better then I actually was. Wednesday evening Ryan's mom came to help out. She helped watch Maya and I finally started to feel a little better a little bit at a time.
I am still out of work and on restrictions. I can not lift more than 5lbs, can not do household chores, can't lift Maya, or drive. I am set to go back to work on Dec. 7th. I still am really sore, and get really tired, really fast, but at least I am getting better and there is an end in site.
The surgery was a little more traumatic for me than I expected. So, I don't really like to look at these pictures. This picture reminds me of what I would look like in a mug shot. :)
This was the first time I got out of bed. It was a huge accomplishment for me, and very painful.






0 comments:
Post a Comment