CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, February 09, 2012

Life with a preemie

Life has been turned upside down in our home.  I was sort of forced to resign from work, and while I love being able to stay home it has put a financial strain on our family, not to mention the huge medical bills from not just my two hospital stays, but Dylan's as well.  The first four weeks of Dylan being the NICU have flown by, and now I have hit an emotional block.  I just want him to come home and it starts to feel like it will never happen.  The nurses said that everyone hits this kind of stumbling block.  I kept thinking that Dylan would be a typical newborn baby once he reached his due date.  Not true.  The doctors have talked to us about how he will be sensitive to textures, noises and lights, be behind on all his milestones and might need physical therapy to learn to crawl and walk.  The good news is he should be caught up to his peers by kindergarten.  Here is his latest update:  as of today he is is 3lbs 15 oz!  He is in the 3rd percentile for weight and 10th for height and head circumference.  He is currently 16 1/2 inches long. He had a level one, (the smallest level) bleed in his brain sometime in the first 6 days of his life. This is very common for preemies.  He had another ultrasound on the brain Monday, and it shows the bleed stayed at a level 1.  That is really good.  He shouldn't have any negative effects from it, but if he does it will show physically not cognitively.  The physical therapist has talked to us about what to look for when he starts being more mobile.  His eyes are still immature but don't show any signs of damage.  It is amazing to me how everyone in my family  was prepared for such an experience.  Ryan and I had been prompted that I might lose my job.  Ryan has so much patience and has been so supportive of me.  Maya is so easy going that she has adjusted really well to going to the babysitter while we go to the hospital.  Dylan was born a fighter.  He is being asked to do things he shouldn't be doing yet, and he tries his hardest.
 This is the isolet bed that Dylan had to spend a lot of time in.  It keeps a constant temperature and helps guard from a lot of noise.  He had to have his covered until he was 34 weeks (they call him by his gestational age) to help protect his eyes. 
 He has been able to regulate his body temperature so he got to move to a big boy crib!  It was quite the talk in the NICU.  All the nurses stopped in to congratulate him.   For such a small little guy, he is exceeding all their expectations. 
 Just relaxing.  He loves to be stretched out. 
 Eating from a bottle.  He has been trying so hard on this. 
 Maya spends three days a week with our friend Edyn.  Her little girl is 4 and loves Maya.  Edyn always does Maya's hair so cute when she goes over there.  I am so thankful to Edyn and all the other people that have sacrificed for my little family. 
 Some coworkers gave me a surprise baby shower last week and Maya helped me organize everything.  She really enjoyed tearing up the tissue paper and pulling out all the diapers. 
Dylan got his oxygen off today but I haven't downloaded the pictures yet.  So here is a picture of Dylan on his one month birthday.  I told Dylan he needs to come home by the end of the month.  The nurses said that is a feasible goal.  Come on little guy, we all want you home!  

2 comments:

kelsey

Such cute kids, Caitlin. We're inspired by and praying for Dylan down here in Austin!

Tippidy

I love those two little ones! I can't wait to see you guys!