CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Sandbagging in Lehi

Sunday Ryan and I went on a geo cache at the camping ground by the Jordan River about a mile and a half from our house. When we entered, we noticed that some parts of the campground were flooded. We went and looked at the water, and didn't think much else. Monday, a couple of friends were asking about the flooding in Lehi. I assumed, they meant the campgrounds but apparently State street, and another street closer to our house had flooded on Sunday. Ryan took me to work on Monday and we noticed some sandbags where the first flooding occurred. Then, when he came to pick me up he said our street had been closed. Sure enough, on the way home about a block from our house, the streets were closed with fire crews and police out. So, obviously Ryan and I went to investigate. We disguised our investigation as "taking Kula for a walk" and we walked over to where they were. They were busy sandbagging. As we walked around our neighborhood, everyone seemed to be sandbagging. It was kind of an eerie site. So, I walked into someone's backyard and asked if they needed help. Ryan and I got into line and Kula had to sit by the wayside. They had an assembly line system, and I stood in between some little kids helping move the sandbags down the line. Ryan got to stand next to the truck with all the men. The sandbags were really heavy, but as I mentioned, I was in between a bunch of little kids, so I had to act like they were light as a feather, I mean if an eight year old can do it.... Anyway, when they were through there, the trucks drove back to the meeting place, and it looked like everyone was finishing up. Over night last night, the waters didn't rise but the news says Lehi should be on alert for a couple more days. I think our house will be fine, but it makes me so sad for the people whose home is ruined.
This is the sandbags on our street near where they closed the street. (Sorry for the picture I forgot my camera and Ryan's phone doesn't have a flash). We went and looked tonight, the water is still really high, but hasn't flooded yet.

Again, sorry for the picture. This was from my phone. This is the opposite side of the house we went and helped at. You can see the water is already flooded a little bit.

1 comments:

Janell

We are going through the same thing in our neighborhood. Little Cottonwood Creek is flooding!